Sunday, May 31, 2015

Baby Plants

I like to get a little earlier start with summer plants, but with our vacation plans, it didn't make sense to plant sooner.  
 I kept feeling like the white rabbit (I'm late!  I'm late!  For a very important date!), but would have to remind myself that it's still May!  Lots of time left to grow and enjoy.
 I didn't get too creative this year.  I find it better to stick with the tried and true.  Lantana for the big table, a geranium for the little table.  Added yellow "million bells" to the cream cans.
 Since we planted the trees, the dog house has been relocated.  Impatiens in a cream and red dishpan on one side of the opening, and elephant ear bulbs planted in a galvanized tub on the right - thank you to Todd for the bulbs and Myra for the tub.
 Last summer we bought two stock tanks at an auction, so it was time to fill them up.  I have limited success with tomatoes, but hope springs eternal.  Five different varieties this year.  From left to right - Better Boy, cherry, pear, grape, and roma.  Thank you Courtney and Patty for the tomato plants!
 One of my colleagues made the best dill and cucumber salad last year, so I planted the dill specifically for that salad.  Fingers crossed!  I always plant basil, just because I love the smell - same with the oregano.  I love cilantro.  Who knows - maybe I can make salsa with our tomatoes and cilantro.  A girl can dream!
 A yellow pepper and a green pepper are living in the other new tank, and cucumbers in their usual home.
 Thank you to David for getting all the dirt for me!
 I always make at least one questionable flower decision when shopping, and this year is no exception.  These petunias were called "chi-ching cherry", and they're a little more pink than I usually go for.  Time will tell!
 It has been a soggy wet couple of weeks...so wet that a mushroom has sprouted up from the rotting bench!
 The geraniums are looking great, and the hydrangea is growing.
 My favorite combination for this basket that Mom gave me - "Aaron" caladium and red impatiens.  Thank you Mom for flower sitting while we were gone!
 Alvin, Simon, and Theodore are doing great!  They all have lots of new growth, and seem to be adapting well to their new home.

No comments: